The department offers an Undergraduate Program in Mechanical Engineering that covers a wide range of courses in the fields of thermal and fluid sciences, engineering design, dynamics, materials and manufacturing, operations research & management, Finite element analysis/ Methods, Metrology and Instrumentation, modeling and simulation; to meet the industry requirements. A sophisticated range of equipment, state-of-the-art facilities and well-equipped labs ensure that students get the very best of practical training. The strength of the department lies in its highly qualified and expert faculty besides its excellent non-teaching staff. To complement this is the presence of the diligent students who epitomize enthusiasm and devotion. Teaching and learning activities are geared to stimulate intellectual curiosity, creativity and innovation.
The department of mechanical engineering was started in the year 2007; the department is offering B Tech in Mechanical Engineering with an intake of 120 students. The department is well equipped with the best of resources to ensure high quality education to the students.
- Focus on concepts and principles in a systematic fashion.
- Constant motivation to build up the confidence level of students.
- Focus on developing the skill set and confidence to succeed with rank.
- Overall personality development in addition to academic preparations.
Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest branches of engineering. It is also referred to as the ‘mother’ branch of engineering. Another appealing feature of mechanical engineering is that the application base of this field of study is extremely broad and diverse. Almost all inventions during the ancient period and a vast majority in the modern era are direct contributions of one or the other application of mechanics.
Traditionally, mechanical engineers have to deal with concepts such as mechanics, thermodynamics, robotics, kinematics, structural analysis, fluid mechanics and many others. These concepts are applied in the process of designing state-of-the-art manufacturing units, different types of motor vehicles, aircraft and aerospace parts and a vast assortment of industrial machinery. Mechanical engineers also contribute in the development of various engines, power plant equipment, heating and cooling systems and other simple and complex machinery. Mechanical engineers not only design new mechanical systems but they are also responsible for testing, maintaining and manufacturing them.
The aforementioned are the conventional roles and responsibilities of mechanical engineers. However, times have changed. Nowadays the scope of mechanical engineering is expanding beyond its traditional boundaries. Mechanical engineers are focussing their attention towards new areas of research such as nanotechnology, development of composite materials, biomedical applications, environmental conservation, etc.
The ever increasing scope of this particular job profile now requires professionals to get into financial and marketing aspects of product development and even into people and resource management. All in all mechanical engineering offers a wide bouquet of job options to students who are looking for a stable and stimulating career.
Programme Educational Objectives(PEO): B. Tech – MECHTo provide the students with:
- A fundamental understanding of the basic and engineering sciences and develop mathematical and analytical skills required for Mechanical Engineering.
- Expertise in designing and analyzing various mechanical engineering systems.
- Ability to provide engineering designs that are based on sound principles considering functionality, aesthetics, safety, cost effectiveness and sustainability.
- A broad view of the context in which their designs will be implemented and the corresponding impact of these designs on society.
- Capability to function ethically in professional mechanical engineering roles and exhibit good competency in their work culture.
- Impetus to take up lifelong learning by being active members of professional bodies like IEI, ASME etc. obtain professional licensure and to undertake higher studies and research activities that will ultimately benefit mankind.
Vision & Mission
To create graduate Mechanical engineers having excellence and competence in addressing the needs in the disciplines of Mechanical Engineering and allied areas at both National and International levels with a deep commitment to serving the society for bettering the standard of living.
- To impart formal education in Mechanical engineering and allied areas at under graduate levels by integrating a variety of project experiences at every level throughout the curriculum. They should be able to apply with confidence the knowledge in Mechanical engineering through research in the science and technology.
- To nurture conducive academic ambience by giving more emphasis to have competent faculty in the department of Mechanical Engineering.
- To encourage the students towards higher education through research and development activities.