The Department of Mechanical Engineering at MEA Engineering College offers four year degree program (B Tech) in Mechanical Engineering with a yearly intake capacity of 120 students. Since its inception in 2007, the department has been thriving to achieve academic excellence by molding quality mechanical engineers with emphasis on comprehensive learning techniques. The department has a team of energetic, committed and competent teaching faculty members with considerable academic and industrial experience, along with a team of dedicated lab staffs to guide the students in workshops and laboratories. Our department is equipped with adequate modern lab facilities, computer aided design lab, a departmental library in addition to the college central library and a seminar hall.
Message from HoD
Mechanical Engineering integrates diverse fields in Aerospace, Automotive, Electro – Mechanical Systems, Bio mechanics, Industrial Automation etc., focusing on the analysis, design, optimization, development and maintenance of machines. Basic areas of study include Engineering Mechanics, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer, Manufacturing Process and Machine Theory. The scope is infinite, ranging from materials research to product development, with plentiful employment opportunities.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering excels and takes much pride in our education efforts, allowing students to gain unique academic experiences in conducting prestigious technical events at our college. Our department has successfully hosted various inter college level technical fests which brought unique recognition and honor to the department as well as the institution. Our students have been evolving through an integrated academic learning approach combining workshops, seminars, conferences, assignments, training, technical projects and self-study, by which they are familiarized with the industrial employment practices.
So far, we have delivered 9 successful batches of mechanical engineers, out of which many have established their presence in reputed industries worldwide. Presently, seven batches of enrolled students are being trained here at our department, waiting to graduate with flying colors.
In summary, the Department of Mechanical Engineering is thriving for professional excellence, building upon which our department is confident of shaping the future of the mechanical engineering students.
We hope you will join us!
To create graduate Mechanical engineers having excellence and competence in addressing the needs in the disciplines of Mechanical Engineering and allied areas at both National and International levels with a deep commitment to serving the society for bettering the standard of living.
- To impart formal education in Mechanical engineering and allied areas at under graduate levels by integrating a variety of project experiences at every level throughout the curriculum.
- To be able to apply with confidence the knowledge in Mechanical engineering through research in the science and technology.
- To nurture conducive academic ambience by giving more emphasis to have competent faculty in the department of Mechanical Engineering.
- To encourage the students towards higher education through research and development activities.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO's)
To provide the students with:
- A fundamental understanding of the basic and engineering sciences and develop mathematical and analytical skills required for Mechanical Engineering.
- Expertise in designing and analyzing various mechanical engineering systems
- Ability to provide engineering designs that are based on fundamental principles by considering functionality, aesthetics, safety, cost effectiveness and sustainability
- A broad view of the context in which their designs will be implemented and the corresponding impact of these designs on society
- Capability to function ethically in professional mechanical engineering roles and exhibit good competency in their work culture.
- Awareness towards social, environmental and energy related issues and emphasize on effective communication skill and professionalism.
Program Outcomes (PO's)
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSO's)
- Work in the area of Manufacturing, Thermal, Design and Fluid sciences to resolve the issues by utilizing advanced techniques.
- Design and fabrication of the mechanical tools, equipment and process with the help of domain specific software tools
- Apply the knowledge of design and production process to work effectively on multidisciplinary research areas for the benefit of society
ADD ON COURSES
- Academic Year 2019 – 2020: ASNT Level II NDT Training
- International Certification Course (3 months)
- Academic Year 2018 – 2019: ASNT Level II NDT Training
- International Certification Course (3 months)
- Machine tools and Digital Manufacturing by Mr. Navaneeth M. S (Lecturer – Government Polytechnic College, Chelakkara) for S5ME students on 14th November, 2019
- Mechanics of Solids by Dr. Sajith Babu (Associate Professor – GEC Kozhikode) for S3ME students on 15th November, 2019
- Design of Machine Elements-I Dr. Jobin Varghese (Associate Professor – Ilahiya College of Engineering and Technology) for S7ME students on 18th November, 2019
IV to VKC – Caltech Polymers Unit, Kakkanchery, Malappuram by S4 ME students on 21st February, 2019
- Number of Students – 48
- Faculties in Charge: Mr. Afsal Hussain T. M., Mr. Mohammed Iqbal C.
Channel: Study Mechanical with Passion
Faculty: Muhamad Fyjas Poolakkal
Subject: Dynamics of Machinery
Channel: Make Mechanical Simple
Faculty: Afsal Hussain
Subjects: Mechanics of Fluids, Fluid Machinery, Engineering Mechanics, Mechanics of Solids, Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Heat and Mass Transfer
Channel: Make KTU Mechanical
Faculty: Mohammed Ranees K T
Subjects: Mechanics of Machinery
MEA Engineering College is an active local chapter of National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL). NPTEL is one of the national coordinators of MHRD’s prestigious Study Webs of Active Learning for Young Aspiring Minds (SWAYAM) programme – The Massive Online Open Course (MOOC) initiative by Indian Academia. All courses offered by NPTEL are part of SWAYAM. Students and faculty from MEA Engineering College can access all the study materials of the courses offered by NPTEL. They can also register for the courses offered by SWAYAM and NPTEL, enjoying the special benefits offered for the Local Chapter candidates. A few candidates from MEAEC also bagged “Elite” certification for the different courses as they were placed in top ranks in the certification exams.NPTEL Videos and Materials now available @ nptel.meaec.edu.in
Mr. Ramkumar P. N. (Assistant Professor – Department of Mechanical Engineering) is the Convener and SPOC of NPTEL at MEA Engineering College.
UNAI (United Nations Academic Impact)
MEA Engineering College is officially an Approved Member of United Nations Academic Impact (UNAI). Mr. Mohammed Iqbal (Associate Professor – Department of Mechanical Engineering) is presently the UNAI Focal Point at MEA Engineering College.
- Thermal Engineering Lab
- HMT & Dynamics Lab
- Fluid Mechanics & Machinery Lab
- Production Lab
- Metallurgy & Materials Lab
- Mechanical Workshop
- Project Lab
- CAD Lab
- Instrumentation Lab
Drawing and Tutorial Hall
MECHANICAL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT ASSOCIATION PROGRAM – MECHMERIZE’ 19
The Department of Mechanical Engineering & the Mechanical Engineering Students Association (MESA) organized MECHMERIZE’19 – The Department Association Inauguration Programme for the Year 2019 – 2020 on 12th November, 2019. Dr. GURRALA SRINIVASA RAO, Joint Registrar & Associate Professor – Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala inaugurated the function. The various dignitaries of the institution felicitated the occasion.
DIGITAL MANUFACTURING WORKSHOP
The IEI Students Chapter – Department of Mechanical Engineering organized a One Day Workshop in ‘Digital Manufacturing’ on 25th October, 2019. Dr. R. Manu, Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering – NIT Calicut delivered the inaugural address along with a tech talk. Mr. Akshay B. (Project Manager) & Mr. Ashok Kumar K. (Service Engineer) from INSTA3D Technologies, Coimbatore were the other resource persons of the program who gave demonstrations in 3D modeling and Rapid Prototyping.
PROFESSIONAL CHAPTER – IEI
The IEI students’ chapter of the Department of Mechanical Engineering was framed under the guidance of Dr. Shanavas S. (Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering – MEAEC) on 31st May 2019 and is valid up to 30th May 2020. Since his relieving, Mr. Arshad Nasar Kombath has been coordinating the activities of IEI in the department.
Hands on Training Session in ‘Scientific Paper Writing’
Dr. Mubarak M. (HoD – Mechanical Engineering) delivered a Hands on Training Session in Scientific Paper Writing on 08th November, 2019 at 2.30 pm in ECE Seminar Hall exclusively for the internal candidates of the institution. There were 47 participants in total who gave a massive positive feedback for the programme.
Workshop on Robotics & Drone Making
The Department of Mechanical Engineering & the Mechanical Engineering Students Association (MESA) organized a workshop session on Robotics & Drone Making under MECHEMRIZE’ 19 exclusively for the students of Mechanical Engineering Department. The session was led by Mr. Akhil Reghu, who has delivered numerous demonstrations in the Robotics & Drone making across prestigious institutions in the country including IIT’s and NIT’s
Seminar on Road Safety
The Department of Mechanical Engineering & the Mechanical Engineering Students Association (MESA) organized a Seminar on Road Safety on 12th November, 2019 under MECHMERIZE’ 19. Mr. SAYYID MAHMOOD PK (Assistant Motor Vehicle Inspector – Malappuram), who has been an Alumni of the Mechanical Engineering Department – MEA delivered the seminar on the occasion. The seminar aimed at influencing the youth to follow the morals of road safety culture.
Tech Talk on Instabilities in Gas Turbine Combustion
Dr. GURRALA SRINIVASA RAO, Joint Registrar & Associate Professor – Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala delivered a tech talk on the after burn flame instabilities in Gas Turbine Combustion on 12th November, 2019. The topic was of high relevance especially in defense sector.
ASNT Level II NDT Training (International Certificate Course) (2019 – 2020)
The Department of Mechanical Engineering in collaboration with UNITED NDT Training and Inspection Centre – Cochin conducted the inaugural function of ASNT Level II Training Programme (2019 – 2020) at the Main Block Seminar Hall – MEAEC, on 15th October 2019. This training programme aimed at providing hands-on experience in latest NDT techniques along with national/international certification, exclusively for third year and final year mechanical engineering students of the institution. Mr. Sarath V S, Manager Industries Centre, Malappuram inaugurated the event and explained about the requirement of quality and standards in the industry. Mr. Dwaraka Unni, Managing Director – Malappuram Metals and Engineering Consortium Pvt. Ltd. (MECON) delivered the key note address and a talk on Entrepreneurship Development. He also elaborated upon the various opportunities and encouraged students to bring forth innovations by always trying something new. Mr. Aneesh C B of UNITED NDT – Cochin delivered a short presentation on NDT as a part of introductory training to the students. Various dignitaries of the institution felicitated the event including The Principal (Dr. G. Ramesh), The Director (Prof. Dr. V. H. Abdul Salam), The Administrative Manager (Mr. C K Zubair), The Vice Principal (Prof. Haneesh Babu K T) and The HoD – Mechanical Engineering (Dr. Mubarak M.)
Department of Mechanical Engineering – MEAEC hosted the 2nd National Conference on Advances in Mathematical and Mechanical Engineering (NCAMME’19) on 30th April, 2019 at MEA Engineering College. The conference served a common platform for the researchers, mathematicians, engineers, scientists, and scholars to exchange their experiences, new ideas, and outcomes of research about all aspects of Mechanical Engineering and Mathematical Sciences. The program also aimed at a forum discussing various collaboration levels of the Mathematical Applications in the field of Mechanical Engineering, practical challenges encountered and the solutions adopted. The conference included keynote address by eminent people in the field of Mechanical Engineering, Mathematical Sciences and technical paper presentation by the delegates. Dr. MOHAMED IQBAL PALLIPURATH, Professor in Mechanical Engineering inaugurated the session. Dr. Sunil Mathew, Assistant Professor in Mathematics – NIT Calicut delivered the keynote address along with a technical talk on the recent trends and advances in Mathematical Sciences. The dignitaries of the institution felicitated the occasion followed by the technical paper presentation by the registered candidates.
FIRST AID LITERATE
The department of Mechanical Engineering & MESA (Mechanical Engineering Students Association) in collaboration with the Healing Hands Foundation, Ramanattukara, conducted a one day program in First Aid Literate on 11th March, 2019 exclusively for the mechanical engineering students of the institution. The delegates from the Healing Hands Foundation and Devaki Amma Memorial College of Pharmacy demonstrated the basic first aid techniques to be adopted in medical emergency. Dr. Sakeena – DMO Malappuram chaired the closing ceremony of the occasion followed by the inauguration of the Health Club at MEA Engineering College.
MECHMERIZE’ 18 – 17th November 2018
The Department of Mechanical Engineering organized the inaugural function of Mechanical Engineering Students Association (MESA) for the academic year 2018 – ’19 titled MECHMERIZE’ 18 in the college auditorium. Mr. Ramesh (JRTO – Malappuram) inaugurated the occasion followed by the launching and distribution of the department newsletter – MACHINA 2K18 and the students’ quiz programme – MEGAMASTERS’ 18
Release of the Department Newsletter – MACHINA 2K18 – 16th November 2018
The inaugural issue of the department newsletter – MACHINA 2K18 was released by the honorable general secretary of the institution Jb. Panakkad Syed Sadiqali Shihab Thangal. The intent of the newsletter was to serve as a platform for disseminating information on advanced technologies in one’s perspective.
Seminar on ‘Current perspectives of Intellectual Property Rights in Economic growth – An indication’
In today’s globally competitive environment, intellectual property (IP) has placed itself on a pedestal in the context of economic growth and is becoming increasingly important. The increasing significance of intangible assets in the global economy is forcing business organizations to actively manage their IP as a key driver for building and sustaining their competitive advantage and achieving superior performance. On the above backdrop, the Department of Mechanical Engineering, MEA Engineering College, Perinthalmanna in association with Patent Information Centre – Kerala / Kerala State Council for Science, Technology & Environment (KSCSTE) organized a one-day seminar on ‘Current perspectives of Intellectual Property Rights in Economic growth – An indication’ at Main Block Seminar Hall, MEA Engineering College on 24th October 2018.
ASNT Level II NDT Training (International Certificate Course) (2018 – 2019)
The Department of Mechanical Engineering in collaboration with UNITED NDT Training and Inspection Centre – Cochin conducted the inaugural function of ASNT Level II Training Programme at the Main Block Seminar Hall – MEAEC, on 12th October 2018. Mr. Vikalp Baradwaj IAS, Assistant Collector – Malappuram, inaugurated the event and outlined the need of engineering skills in delivering valuable services to the society. Mr. Damodar Avanoor, CEO – Lohashilpi, delivered the key note address and encouraged to organize similar training programs to mold proactive graduates. He also elaborated upon the various opportunities and encouraged students to bring forth innovations by always trying something new. This training programme aimed at providing hands-on experience in latest NDT techniques along with national/international certification, exclusively for third year and final year mechanical engineering students of the institution.
Department of Mechanical Engineering – MEAEC hosted the National Conference on Advances in Mechanical Engineering (NCAME’18) on 11th April, 2018 at MEA Engineering College. NCAME 2018 was intended to provide a common platform to bring together the researchers, engineers, scientists, and scholars to exchange their experiences, new ideas, and outcomes of research about all aspects of Mechanical Engineering and also to discuss the practical challenges encountered and the solutions adopted. The conference themes included various areas covering Design & Manufacturing, Materials and Thermal Engineering.
Workshop on Research Methodology
Department of Mechanical Engineering conducted a One Day workshop on Research Methodology at MEA Engineering College on 28th February, 2018. Dr. S. R. Devadasan (Professor – PSG College of Technology) delivered the session covering various aspects in Research Methodology.
The following proposals are submitted and are under evaluation,
SERB- SUPRA Scheme (Science Engineering Research Board – Scientific and Useful Profound Research Advancement)
Title – Investigations on the use of bio mix produced from various vegetable oils derived biodiesel
Principal Investigator – Dr. Mubarak M.
Amount – INR 20, 20, 000
Students Projects under KSCSTE (Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment)
Title – Design and Development of Amphibious Electric Vehicle
Principal Investigator – Dr. Mubarak M.
Amount – INR 10, 000
Title – Use of Bio mix as fuel in diesel engines
Principal Investigator – Dr. Mubarak M.
Amount – INR 10, 000
Title – Self Aligning chair
Principal Investigator – Mr. Muhammed Swalih N. U.
Amount – INR 10, 000
Mechanical Engineering Students Association (MESA)
In pursuit of gaining unique academic experiences in professional fields, the Mechanical Engineering Students Association (MESA) was formed under the Department of Mechanical Engineering on 2012. MESA is a students’ platform under the Department of Mechanical Engineering which enables the students to have an integrated academic learning approach combining workshops, seminars, assignments, training, technical projects and self-study. MESA also motivates the students in various team and entrepreneurial activities, research activities, technical magazine publication, workshops, seminars etc. In summary, MESA under the Department of Mechanical Engineering is thriving to shape the future of the mechanical engineering students through professional excellence.
Mr Muhammed Swalih N. U.
Assistant Professor – Department of Mechanical Engineering
President: Mr Mohammed Adil C. (MEA16ME047)
Secretary: Mr Ahammed Ansah (MEA17ME008)
Activities under MESA
2019 – 2020
- MECHMERIZE’ 19
- MECHANIUM’ 14
- MECHANO’ 14
2018 – 2019
- MACHINA 2K18 (DEPARTMENT MAGAZINE)
- MECHMERIZE’ 18
- FIRST AID LITERATE
2017 – 2018
- MECHANIUM’ 18
- MECHMERIZE’ 17
- Akhil Suresh (MEA16ME010) of 16ME Batch got placed in Cognizant Technology Solutions (CTS) in 2019
- Muhamed Fahmi (MEA16ME066) of 16ME Batch and Mr. Ameen Shahid N. (LMEA17ME085) of 17ME Batch presented a paper entitles ‘Green Army’ in the International Conference on 10th Year of UNAI at Chandigarh University Campus, Mohali on November 2019
- Abhay Krishna (CEAOEME003), Mr. Aneesh C. K. (CEAOEME008) and Mr. Danish K (CEAOEME017) of 14ME Batch got admission for MS in Germany in 2019
- Salmanul Faris K. (MEA17ME073) of 17ME Batch got selected in KTU state football team in 2019
- Musfir P (MEA17ME065) of 17ME Batch got selected as member of the KTU Inter-Zone Handball Team in 2019
- Vismaya T. (LMEA17ME104) of 17ME Batch got selected as the Best Player in the E–Zone Women’s Table Tennis Tournament in 2019
- A fund of INR 36, 000 received by the HoD – Mechanical from Govt. of Kerala towards the hosting of 1 day Seminar on IPR in 2018
- Riswan C. (MEA16ME091), Mr. Thameem K. (MEA16ME114) and Mr. Salmanul Faris (MEA17ME072) won medals in Athletics in the APJ – KTU state sports meet in 2018
- Danish K. (CEAOEME017) and Mr. Vignesh P. (CEAOEME124) of 14ME Batch secured university ranks from University of Calicut for their exemplary academic performance (2018)
- Vismaya T. (LMEA17ME104) of 17ME Batch won first prize in zonal wise table tennis competition (2018)
- Mathias Wiegand, A German Engineer (Hamburg University) served as a guest faculty during Academic Year 2017 – 2018
- Althaf Ali M. (CEANEME012), Mr. Arun M (CEANEME017),) and Mr. Mohammed Ashif K. P. (CEANEME049) secured university ranks from University of Calicut for their exemplary academic performance (2017)
- Habeeb Rahman (CEAOEME024) of 14ME Batch won the University boxing medal thrice (Inter Zonal Level & State Level)
- Best Outgoing Student (College Level) from the Mechanical Department for three consecutive years (2016, 2017 & 2018)