Department of Information Technology
The Department of Information Technology of MEA Engineering College was established in 2002 by the affiliation of University of Calicut. The department is now affiliated to APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University (APJKTU).
The study of computing is the study of the process of abstraction and its power, the practice of design and method of best implementation, mathematical theory of computation and its limits. The list of knowledge areas at the undergraduate level thus include Discrete Structures, Algorithms and Complexity, Computational Theory, Computer Architecture, Programming Language Theory and Implementation, Database Systems, Operating Systems, Net-centric Computing and Software Engineering. Emphasis is also given to hardware architectural design and software system design. A set of elective courses addressing the advanced topics and applications are also offered at the senior level. The UG curriculum pays great attention to laboratory work to consolidate the theoretical concepts and their applications to solve real-life problems in diverse domains.
The fast changing scenario in Information Technology necessitates the Department to actively extend its research and development activities. The current research interests of the Department include major areas of research in Information technology.
UG – B.Tech
- Total Intake : 30+ 6 Lateral Entry
- Criteria : As per Government order
- Minimum qualification : Plus Two
- Fee structure : As per Government order
- Duration : 4 Yrs
To be a Center of Excellence in the Discipline of Computing and become a pioneering research center by providing value added education to the students through entrepreneurship, academic and research oriented activities in the sector of Information Technology.
To develop human resource with sound knowledge in the discipline of computing.
To impart training in Information Technology fields and to formulate all students for fruitful careers focused on great Moral & Ethical strategies.
To mould and cultivate Research & Innovation, Integrity, Team Work, Professionalism, Obligation and Empowerment among students.
To inculcate innovation and motivation to update latest technologies in Information Technology enabled services.
Programme Educational Objectives(PEO): B. Tech – IT
- To empower students to identify, formulate and solve computing problems by applying their knowledge in mathematics, theoretical computing and computer programming.
- To develop industry focused skills and leadership qualities to become successful engineers and entrepreneurs.
- To enable students to acquire skills to communicate effectively with the society and the constituents which enable them to collaborate as team members and team leaders.
- To instill professional work ethics and social responsibilities so that they can contribute to the betterment of the society as committed technical personnel.
- To inculcate a passion towards higher education, research and lifelong learning in the field of Information technology.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes(PSOs)
- Empower Software and Hardware knowledge:-Engineering Graduates will be able to choose and apply appropriate computational techniques in the field of networking, mobile computing, cyber forensics, embedded systems and other emerging areas in Information Technology.
- Acquire skills with IT techniques:- Engineering Graduates will be able to analyze and develop various web applications and give insight for the design and implementation of Internet Programming
Information Technology, a broad term covering all aspects of managing and processing information. IT professionals design, develop, support and manage computer software, hardware, and networks. Today Computers have not only assumed strategic importance in the corporate world, they are being effectively used in other fields ranging from Computer software used to write an online exam, computer generated animation in a blockbuster movie, ordering books over the Internet, banking, satellites and systems that enable NASA to explore Mars, are all developed by innovative IT professionals. In this era of Information Technology, which has revolutionized the whole world, INDIA has stood to the world standards and is being regarded the World over for it’s skilled IT Professionals.
The phenomenal growth that this industry is witnessing has lead to it being recognized as one of the highly paid industry. The availability of skilled, qualified professionals is hardly able to meet the requirement, leaving a large gap to be filled by those with ambition, aptitude and willingness to work hard.
Careers in IT
Software programmers write, test, and maintain the programs or software. They also conceive, design, and test logical structures for solving problems by computer.
Programmers are of two types:
Applications Developer: They usually focus on business, engineering, or science. They write software to handle a specific job they may also revise existing packaged software.
Systems Programmers: The Computer Systems software such as Operating System, Compilers etc are maintained and controlled by them.
They are the keepers of database accuracy, efficiency, maintenance and development. The DBA function requires Database Planning, requirements gathering and conceptual design, logical design and transaction design, physical design and implementation, testing and debugging. Database operations and maintenance, installation, conversion and migration, training and support are also their work activities. They should be able to communicate well, verbally and in writing. Database administrators may advance to managerial and leadership positions.
IT and Education
To match the speed at which the IT industry is growing, we need more trained professionals every year. They could be a faculty at of the training institutes that impart training on
various subjects or working with universities. All you need to have is your degrees in place and a passion to teach.
QA , when applied to web sites, is the process of enforcing quality control standards and working to improve the processes that are used in producing the web site and its components, infrastructure and content. When well implemented, a web site should see progressive improvement in terms of both lessening rate of defects and general increase in site usability and performance.
They have a varied number of activities to perform, which may be to design, write and edit manuals, brochures and online help in the software industry
Multimedia and Web developers build, design / write or edit on-line information, supporting websites including on-line help.
Interface Design and Usability Testing
Usability engineers and interface designers help software developers make and test programmes that are user-friendlier.
Also referred as a systems developer and systems architect. They enable computer technology to meet individual needs of an organisation. This may include planning and developing new computer systems or devising ways to apply existing systems’ resources to additional operations. They also may prepare cost-benefit and return-on-investment analyses to help management decide whether implementing the proposed system will be financially feasible. They coordinate tests and monitor the system to ensure it performs as planned. They prepare specifications, work diagrams, and structure charts for computer programmers to follow and then work with them to “debug,” or eliminate errors from the system.
Hardware engineers work with the hardware and software aspects of systems design and development. They often work as part of a team that designs new computing devices or
computer-related equipment. Hardware engineers usually design, develop, test, and supervise the manufacture of computer hardware—such as chips or device controllers.
The rapid spread of computer networks has resulted in the increase of requirement of specialists responsible for the security and administration of the networks they design and
implement systems that keep networks functioning smoothly. Their Duties may be planning and installation of the hardware and software that comprise the network, addition – deletion of files to the network server, maintaining the peripherals connected to the network, troubleshooting problems.
Certain Reputed Certification programmes as follows, gives one, further specialization in this stream –
1. Cisco Certified Network Associate – CCNA certified professionals can install, configure, and operate LAN, WAN, and dial access services for small networks (100 nodes or fewer), including but not limited to use of these protocols.
2. Cisco Certified Network Professional indicates advanced knowledge of networks. With a CCNP, a network professional can handle all networks from 100 to more than 500 nodes. The content emphasises topics such as security, converged networks, quality of service (QoS), virtual private networks (VPN) and broadband technologies.
3. Multi-layer Switched Networks engineer: This programme explains how resilient campus networks can be designed, built and configured.
4. Remote Access Networks engineer: This explains how to build remote access networks to interconnect central sites to branch offices and home office / telecommuters, it is intended for network administrators, support or design staff.
The Department Library occupies a unique place in academic and research activities of the Department. It is perhaps the most important central facility provided by the Institute. The Library was started in September 2016. The Library maintains an excellent collection of data books, occasional papers and other documents/materials. The Library has a well equipped facility for reading.
ICT Class Room
ICT (Information and Communication Technologies led Classrooms) using a smart, interactive, multimedia rich and content enabled education system. It provides a perfect platform for teachers to improve and adapt to better teaching practices with newer methods like blended learning. It bridges the learning gaps between teacher and students, helping them realize their true potential. It make learning fun, by involving multimedia lessons that are inclusive of but not limited to images, PPTs, videos and so on. Students not only grasp such lessons easily but also remember them for a longer span of time. Smart classrooms also allow students to record complete lessons and share them with their friends who were not available for the class. These recorded lessons also come into use as convenient reference point during revisions, making important points clearer and improving student-performances.
It is a multipurpose hall equipped with the latest audio and visual aids for facilitating meetings and workshops. All important events,competitions to the seminars organized for the parents/teachers/students are convened within this space. It boosts of the most efficient technology and comfortable seating arrangement. The seminar hall is a pivotal space; housing a series of significant cultural and educational events organized within the college.
Exclusive organization for Information Technology (XORIT)
“XORIT” Is a Technical Association run by and for the students of Department of Information Technology. The association has always been the first in quelling challenges of the chosen fields through research, lectures, self-study, peers and faculty. It actively involves not only in organizing the programs for themselves but also organizes programs such as paper presentations, debugging contests, debates, design contests and exhibitions for the students. The students of department of Information Technology have also participated in different technical contests and have come out with different colors and shapes.
Staff in Charge: Mrs Liloja
Workshops & Seminars
HANDS-ON WORKSHOP ON ETHICAL HACKING “CYBER DISEASE”
Aiming to provide an intense training on Ethical Hacking for Industrial persons, researchers and Young Engineers, a two- day workshop on ‘CYBER DISEASE’ and its application on 16th and 19th of November 2018 at MEA Engineering College Perinthalmanna. Department of Information Technology organized the workshop in association with ICFOSS. The FOSS Cell Program of ICFOSS aims to provide promotional services of FOSS to educational institutions by promoting the formation of a group of interested students and teachers in the institution, called the FOSS Cell. The workshop was done by Robokart under innovative cell, IIT BOMBAY. The program was then moved to the workshop at 11:00 AM and a well experienced trainer Mr. Vaibhav Kandherao started the session with some basic ideas and information about Ethical Hacking. Afterwards the practical session started. Participants were allowed to do hands-on training on Ethical Hacking. The session was held at CCF lab, Main block, MEAEC.
The program was organized aiming at making students aware about Cyber Crimes, security issues and precaution to be taken while interacting in the digital world. The participants were trained to hack social medias, smartphones, do encryption, decryption and much more. Every tool used were free and run in the operating system “Kali Linux” under Linux platform.
HANDS-ON WORKSHOP ON HARDWARE ASSEMBLING AND TROUBLESHOOTING
The Department of Information Technology, MEA Engineering College Perinthalmanna organized a Workshop on Hardware Assembling and troubleshooting in association with Core innovative Systems on 3rd April 2018 from 9 AM to 4 PM . The Workshop was done by Core Innovative Systems.
The Program was inaugurated by Dr. Raji C.G, HOD, Department of Information Technology, MEA Engineering College Perinthalmanna at 9:30 AM on 3rd April 2018. The program was then proceeded to the workshop at 10:00 AM and Trainer started the session with some basic ideas and information about Computer Hardware. Afterwards the practical session started. Participants were allowed to do hands-on training on Hardware Assembling and troubleshooting. The session was held at Programming Lab, IT Block, MEAEC.
The program was organized aiming at making students aware about Computer Hardware, Assembling and troubleshooting.. The participants were trained to do the hardware side of the computer.
SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION AND DIGITAL MARKETING
HANDS-ON WORKSHOP ON VOICE CONTROLLED ROBOTICS
The Department of Information Technology, MEA Engineering College Perinthalmanna organized a Workshop on Voice Controlled Robotics namely “Robotica” in association with Pantech on 6th and 7th March 2018 from 9 AM to 4 PM . The Workshop was done by Pantech.
The Program was inaugurated by Dr Rajin M. Linus, Principal, MEA Engineering College at 9:30 AM on 6th November 2018. Dr. Raji C.G, HOD, Department of Information Technology, MEA Engineering College Perinthalmanna was presiding over the function. The valedictory function was done by Mr. Sreekesh, Asst. Professor, Department of IT at 4.00pm on 7th March 2018.
The program was then proceeded to the workshop at 11:00 AM and Trainer started the session with some basic ideas and information about Robotics. Afterwards the practical session started. Participants were allowed to do hands-on training on Voce controlled Robotics. The session was held at Programming Lab, IT block, MEAEC. The program was organized aiming at making students aware about Robotics, Hardware and working of voice controlled Robotics. The participants were trained to work for the robotics and much more.
HANDS- ON WORKSHOP- ROBOTICA
The Department of Information Technology, MEA Engineering College Perinthalmanna organized a Workshop on Voice Controlled Robotics namely “Robotica” in association with Pantech on 6th and 7th March 2018. The Program was inaugurated by Dr Rajin M. Linus, Principal, MEA Engineering College. Dr. Raji C.G, HOD, Department of Information Technology, MEA Engineering College Perinthalmanna was presiding over the function. The valedictory function was done by Mr. Sreekesh, Asst. Professor, Department of IT. The workshop session with some basic ideas and information about Robotics. Afterwards the practical session started. Participants were allowed to do hands-on training on Voce controlled Robotics. The session was held at Programming Lab, IT block, MEAEC. The program was organized aiming at making students aware about Robotics, Hardware and working of voice controlled Robotics. The participants were trained to work for the robotics and much more.
WORKSHOP ON SHARELATEX AND OVERLEAF
The Department of Information Technology, MEA Engineering College Perinthalmanna organized a Workshop on ShareLatex and OverLeaf on 28th September 2019. The Program was inaugurated and presented by Dr. Raji C.G, HOD, Department of Information Technology, The workshop is coordinated by Sreelekha M assistant professor, Department of Information Technology at MEA Engineering College, Perinthalmanna. MEA Engineering College Perinthalmanna was presiding over the function. Over the past 4 years, both ShareLaTeX and Overleaf have gone from strength to strength — seeing rapid, sustained growth in usage — and have emerged as the two most popular Online LaTeX editors. Our combined community comprises over two million authors at thousands of institutions and enterprises around the world. Naturally, we’ve always been compared and provided each other with some friendly competition, but behind the scenes, we’ve often been trying to figure out a way to work together. Project and seminar reports of B.Tech students must be in latex format in order to assure quality and easiness while they publish papers.
“INSPIRE” PRE-PLACEMENT TRAINING PROGRAM
Department of Computer science in Association with Technical Association for Cyber Streams (TACS) and XORIT organized by half day training program On “How to create Resume Professionally and Interview Tips” on 17th October 2019. Mr. Baiju B.S. (PRO & Placement Officer), MEA Engineering College, handled the session. The training program was exclusive for Final year students of Computer Science and engineering and Information Technology for the career advancement.
The session started with an introduction about what the difference between bio-data, curriculum vitae and resume. Resume is an important job search tool in job hunter community. Also he explained what are the common interview questions to be asked when we attending the interview in different company. The session was interactive that the students have cleared their doubts with the concerned faculty. At the end of session the students got a clear idea about how to create resume in professional way using different resume template. The session also discussed about how to attend an interview and some of the basic questions which are usually asked. The session came to an end at 12.50 PM on the same day.
Mrs Suhaira Yousuf P K
2nd Rank, B.Tech. IT (2018)
Ms Nousha T H
7th Rank, B.Tech. IT (2017)
Ms Nishitha T. P.
10th Rank, B.Tech. IT (2017)
Mrs Fathima Safa
1st Rank, B.Tech. IT (2016)
Mrs Nasmath C
3rd Rank, B.Tech IT (2016)
Teaching Excellence Award 2019
Mr Vinish A., Asst. Professor
Mrs Thasleena V. A., Asst. Professor
Mrs Hanooja T., Asst. Professor
Ms Sreelekha M., Asst. Professor
Mrs Liloja, Asst. Professor
- Dr Raji C.G, Vinish A., Ganesh Gopakumar and Shahil K, Implementation of Bitcoin Mining using Raspberry Pi, 2nd International Conference on Smart Systems and Inventive Technology (ICSSIT 2019), 27-29 November, 2019 (Presented and Recommended for IEEE publication)
- Dr Raji C.G, Thasleena V.A, Liloja Basheer and Mohammed Shahzad, IOT Based Water Quality Monitoring with Android Application , I-SMAC 2019, 3rdInternational Conference on I-SMAC (IOT in Social, Mobile, Analytics and Cloud), 12-14 December 2019. (Presented and Recommended for IEEE publication)