Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering
The Department of Electronics and Communication was established during the year 2002 with the aim of providing the students developed technologies in the field of Electronics and Communication as the global scene is exposed to new vistas of emerging technologies, especially in VLSI ,Micro processors and controllers, Embedded systems, Digital Signal Processing, Communication Systems etc. The 21st century is a century of knowledge and Technological shifts. The paradigm shift in technology is the growing need of learners in the 21st century. Hence the management of MEA Engineering college has rightly decided to expose the rapid advances in Electronics & Communication, the society today is made to acquaint.
The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, since its inception, has steadily progressed with several achievements to its credit. With its dedicated faculty & sophisticated facilities, it has established quality standards in imparting technical education to the budding Engineers
Along with its lively support to the students, the department also encourages the staff members in pursuing their higher education. Faculty members are being sponsored for attending various seminars, induction programmes & workshops held at other institutions.
The Department is capable of offering subjects like Embedded System Design, Analog and Mixed Mode VLSI, Image Processing, etc along with other core subjects.
The DEPT Association ‘MEXA’ was formed in 2008. Under its banner several technical programmes have been conducted.The Department of Electronics and Communication is well equipped with all the infrastructure facilities in terms of classrooms, Labs, workshops, Library etc. as required by the university norms.
- To facilitate young Engineers to acquire technical exposure in the areas of Electronics and Communication Engineering and develop human, social and intellectual qualities necessary for the successful practice of the profession
- To impart high quality engineering education in electronics and communication for the students.
- To provide relevant Technical and Professional education that prepares students to lead their lives with Personal Integrity, Professional Ethics, and Civic Responsibility in a Global Society.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
- To acquire a strong background in basic science and mathematics and ability to use these tools in electronics and communication engineering.
- To develop the ability to demonstrate technical competence in the fields of electronics and communication engineering and develop solutions to the problems in various areas of electronics and communication engineering.
- To attain professional excellence through life-long learning.
- To attain the qualities of professional leadership to deliver effectively in a multi-disciplinary team and domains.
- To produce graduates who ensure ethical and moral behavior
Program Outcomes (POs)
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- Knowledge in Electronics: To acquire a strong background in basic science and mathematics and ability to use these tools in electronics and communication engineering.
- Practical Knowledge in Electronics: To develop the ability to demonstrate technical competence in the fields of electronics and communication engineering and develop solutions to the problems in various areas of electronics and communication engineering.
- Simulation Lab
- Microprocessor and Micro controller Lab
- Digital Electronics Lab
- Electronics Circuits Lab
- Digital Communication Lab
- Power Electronics Lab
- Linear Integrated Circuits Lab
- Advanced Communication Lab
Research and Development Cell
MEXA- Association of Electronics and Communication Engineering
MEXA is the Association of Electronics & Communication Engineering. It is introduced as a platform which will help the students of ECE department to enhance their technical skills through various workshops and programs. Since it is established, MEXA had organized many technical programs which was helpful for improving skills of the students. The support given by committee members, Staffs and students are the key reasons for the success of MEXA. Dr Abdul Majeed K.K (Professor and Head, Dept. of ECE) is the current staff advisor of MEXA. Mr Rishin Ali K (Assistant Professor, Dept. of ECE) is the current staff incharge and Mr Rajeev N. (Associate Professor, Dept. of ECE) is R&D cell in-charge.
MEXA Committee 2019- 20
Chairman: Abdul Majid K. T. (S7 ECE)
Vice Chairperson: Ayisha Sifna P. (S7 ECE)
Secretary: P. K. Mohammed Shihab (S7 ECE)
Treasurer: Gokul M. (S7 ECE)
In 2019 MEXA has conducted its inaugural program named PIXEL 19 on 02nd November 2019 which was inaugurated by the chief guest Sri. M. Narayanan Namboodiripad, Dy Director, VSSC/ISRO. There were more than 100 participants including students and staff members from the department.
Dr. G. Ramesh (Principal), Dr. V.H. Abdul Salam (Director), Prof. Haneesh Babu K.T. (Vice Principal), Mr. C.K. Zubair (Adm Manager) and Dr. Abdul Gafoor (Dean Research) were also present at the venue.
The keynote speech and a seminar are delivered on Space by the Chief guest. The after noon session was handled by Mr. Rahul P. Balachandran, CEO, Inker Robotics. The session was very helpful for the students to learn about the modern advancements in the robotics field.
In 2018 MEXA has conducted the department association day named as “PIXEL 18’ which is inaugurated by our respected Vice Principal Mr Haneesh Babu K. T. There were more than 100 participants in the program including staffs and students of ECE department. College director Prof. (Dr) V. H. Abdul Salam, Manager Mr C. K. Zubair and HOD’s of various departments were present in the program. Vice Principal presented the special momento for “Best teacher of ECE departement” to Mrs Priya K. P (Assistant Professor ECE). The resource persons of PIXEL’18 was Mr. Arun Perooli (Founder, CEO of “Qkopy”) and Mr. Irshad P.K (Junior telecom officer,BSNL Perinthalmanna). The session by young entrepreneur Mr. Arun Perooli was really inspiring . Also the session about latest technologies in telecom engineering by Mr. Irshad P.K was so helpful for the students. The program concluded by presenting momentos to the guests by ECE HOD Dr Abdul Majeed K.K and director Prof. (Dr) V. H. Abdul Salam.
National level workshop on Raspberry Pi
It was a great achievement that MEXA had conducted a 3 day “National level workshop” on Raspberry pi. The workshop was managed by Mr Ajay from Transiot training institute. 35 students attended the workshop. The workshop was based on Hands on training on Raspberry Pi. The workshop was conducted as a two day program which includes the theoretical section, programming basics in python language and hands on training in development. The workshop was conducted at the Common Computing Facility (CCF) for our college.
Re-energizing education through self-motivation
MEXA had conducted a re-energizing education through self-motivation program in an academic year. We had a very good motive speaker who explained the use and importance of the education in the modern era. At that time Mr Rajeev N was the Head of the Department and Staff advisor of MEXA. Mr. Rasheed Abdul Haq, Assistant Professor, ECE, was the staff in charge of MEXA. At that time MEXA had conducted several in-house technical and non-technical competitions.
For the college tech fest ANAVO 17, under MEXA and R&D of department of ECE together involved in developing several projects and simulations. Mehandi Designing Robo, Dosa Maker, 3D optical projector, Optical guitar are some of the projects developed during these period.
Portable Karaka Palm Tree Climber:- Rajeev N (KSCSTA) ,Rs. 60000/-
Journals and Publications
Renjith V. Ravi, Kamalraj SubramaniamT. V. RoshiniSundar Prakash Balaji MuthusamyG. K. D. Prasanna Venkatesan, “Optimization algorithms, an effective tool for the design of digital filters; a review”, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, Springer[ SCI Indexed]
- A. Mohanarathinam, S. KamalrajG. K. D. Prasanna Venkatesan, Renjith V. Ravi, C. S. Manikandababu, Digital watermarking techniques for image security: a review, Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, Springer[ SCI Indexed]
- Sajmath P. K., Renjith V Ravi, Beamforming based underwater wireless optical communication systems, 4th IEEE International Conference on Communication and Electronics Systems (ICCES 2019).
- Renjith V Ravi, Amrutha N R, Amritha E, Haneena.P, Jaseena.T, An AndroidBased Restaurant Automation System with Touch Screen, 3rd IEEE International Conference on Inventive Systems and Control (ICISC 2019) 10-11, January 2019.
- Renjith V. Ravi, Kamalraj Subramaniam , and G.K.D Prasanna Venkatesan, Low Power Area Efficient Improved DWT and AES Architectures for Secure Image Coding, First International Conference on Advances in Electrical and Computer Technologies 2019, 26-27 April 2019, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering,Springer.
- Renjith V. Ravi, Kamalraj Subramaniam , and G.K.D Prasanna Venkatesan, High Speed Modified DA Architecture for DWT Computation in Secure Image Encoding, First International Conference on Advances in Electrical and Computer Technologies 2019, 26-27 April 2019, Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering,Springer.
- “Deep learning based massive MIMO system for beamforming and channel estimation”. Published in International journal of recent technology and Engineering, Vol 8, Issue 2S6, July 2019.( Sneha VV, Ismayil Siyad C, S.Tamilselvan)
- Multi-layer perceptron scheme for beamforming and channel estimation of massive MIMO presented in 4th International conference on research and modern innovation in Engineering and Technology (ICRMIET-19) held on 17th-18th June 2019 at Chennai, Tamil Nadu. (Sneha VV, Ismayil Siyad C, S.Tamilselvan)
- Deep learning enabled physical layer security to combat eavesdropping in massive MIMO networks presented in Springer International conference on computer networks and Inventive communication technologies (ICCNCT-2019) organized by RVS technical campus during May 2019 at Coimbatore, India. (Ismayil Siyad C, S.Tamilselvan)
- Frequency domain learning scheme for massive MIMO using deep neural network presented in the third IEEE international conference on intelligent computing and control systems (ICICCS-2019) organized by Vaigai college of engineering during May 2019 at Madurai, India. (Sneha VV, Ismayil Siyad C, S.Tamilselvan)
- An alternative optimization algorithm for channel and clipping amplitude estimation in IoT based Networks presented in International conference on electrical and electronics engineering (ICEEE-18) on 27th May 2018, Cochin, India. (Thasnimol, Ismayil Siyad C)
- Alternative optimization algorithm for channel and clipping amplitude estimation in IoT based Networks published in International journal of Engineering research in Computer science and Engineering (IJERCSE) vol 5, Issue 5, pages 49-55, May 2018. (Thasnimol, Ismayil Siyad C)
- Performance analysis of diversity techniques for OFDM system using trellis coded OAM QAM union modulation presented in IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Control (I2C2 2017) Coimbatore, India, June 2017. (Neethu C, Ismayil Siyad C)
- Low power PLL with reduced reference spur realized with glitch-free linear PFD and current splitting CP:- K. Abdul Majeed Binsu J. Kailath ( Analog Integr Circ Sig Process, Springer, 2017)
- PLL architecture with a composite PFD and variable loop filter:- Abdul Majeed K.K., Binsu J. Kailath ( IET Circuits, Devices & Systems, 2017)
- Image Recovery from noisy random projection using dictionary learning Technique:- Reshma K. and Sruthi K. Das (ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences-2015)
- Feature extraction of hyperspectral images Using ELM classifier:- Jishma K. and Abdul Raouf M. T. ( ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2015)
- H.264/AVC Video Encoding with Simultaneous Encryption and Data Hiding Based on Histogram Shifting:- Kripa Antony, Savitha T. P. ( International Journal of Science and Research, 2015)
- A Hybrid PSO-GA Algorithm for Energy Efficient Routing in AMMNET:- Niji. R,Vineeth. D. Nair ( International Journal for Innovative Research in Science & Technology,2016)
- Hierarchical Prediction for Lossless Colour Image Compression and Transmission Using OFDM:- Muhammed Harif N, Jaseena T ( International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR),2015)
- Moving object identification using advanced algorithms for video surveillance:- Karthika Menon and Ismayil Siyad ( ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2015)
- Face Image Retrieval using Sparse Code and Age Group Estimation by using Face Angle:- Faseela E ( International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), 2015)
- Fingerprint Image Enhancement Using Adaptive Pre-processing of Data and K-means Segmentation:- Mohammed Shakeer .M .A, Nithin .M .V ( International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), 2015)
- Adaptive Deblurring and Parameter Estimation Using Dictionary Learning and Whiteness Measures:- Sruthi M, Rajeev N ( International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR),2015)
- Security Enhanced RDH Image Steganography by RRBE:- Saranya .M, Aswani .K ( International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), 2015)
- An Effective Routing Algorithm for Cooperative Video Streaming Over VANETs:- Shanooja.K, Ismayil Siyad.C ( International Journal of Advanced Information Science and Technology (IJAIST), 2016)
- Random Key Pre-Distribution Scheme: A Security Based Protocol for MANETS:- Anju M A, Febina P ( IJIRST –International Journal for Innovative Research in Science & Technology, 2016)
Analysis of SET Effects in PIC Micro controller:- Sijoy K. J. (International Journal for Soft computing and Engineering, 2012)
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
- Kerala State Electronics Development Corporation Ltd. (KELTRON)
- Teclon Innovative Solutions LLP.
Book Chapter Published
Kailath, Binsu J.; Abdul Majeed, Kottampara Kuppalath “Composite PFD based low-power, low noise, fast lock-in PLL” (Materials, Circuits amp; Devices, 2019), ’VLSI and Post-CMOS Electronics. Volume 1: Design, modelling and simulation’, Chap. 6, pp. 135-157, DOI: 10.1049/PBCS073Fch6, Published by IET
Top University Ranks
2017 Batch Top Rank Holders
2nd Rank B.Tech. 2018, Calicut University
35th Rank B.Tech. 2018, Calicut University