NSS Technical Cell | MEAEC
Unit No : 110
National Service Scheme works with the motto “NOT ME BUT YOU” and its aim is personality development through social service.
ABOUT NSS | MEAEC | UNIT NO : 110
National Service Scheme Technical Cell Unit functions at the college as unit number 110. The unit is controlled by Mr Faisal CH, Assistant Professor, Department of Science and Humanities as the Programme Officer and Ms Shahana Sheril, Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering as the Associate Programme Officer. The volunteer strength of the unit is 100 and they are from second and third years. Mr Ajul Anjah and Ms Hamna Gafoor of third year Civil Engineering are the volunteer secretaries of the unit.
In the academic year 2016-17, for the outstanding contributions to the social service and welfare, the unit and the Programme Officer have received special appreciation awards and the best volunteer award is bagged by Mr Ajmal PK of final year Civil engineering, from the Directorate of Technical Education, Kerala.
As per the present regulations of the APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University and the Directorate of Technical Education, volunteership starts from first year and ends only in the final year, which is from S1 to S8. The first year students will be in pre volunteership and the final years will be in post volunteership periods. So the enrolment of volunteers is for the second and the third years for their activity hours.
Every year, the unit has an intake of 50 volunteers (25 boys and 25 girls), for which the unit receives almost 200 applications. Selection of volunteers will be done only after rounds of selection processes including aptitude tests, group discussions, developmental job assignments, etc.
The selected volunteers should have to work for 240 hours the minimum during S3 to S6 (120 hours each) to be eligible for the NSS Volunteer Certificate. 120 hours are split into 70 hours of community hours, 30 hours of campus works and 20 hours of NSS orientations a year. Apart from these activities, every volunteer should have to attend a seven day’s special camp the minimum which is conducted off campus. The unit also organizes mini camping programme on the campus to mould the students to be real NSS volunteers.
AWARDS AND APPRECIATIONS
- Special Appreciation Award for the Unit (2016-17, from the Directorate of Technical Education).
- Special Appreciation Award for the Programme Officer Mr Faisal CH (2016-17, from the Directorate of Technical Education).
- The Best Volunteer Award for Mr Ajmal PK of Final Year Civil Engineering (2016-17, from the Directorate of Technical Education).
- Appreciation Award for the Unit for Conducting Punarjjani Camp at Manjeri Government Medical College (2016-17, from Dr Thomas Isaac, the Finance Minister of Kerala).
- Appreciation Award for the Unit for Conducting Punarjjani Mini Camp at Community Health Centre, Puzhakkattiry (2016-17, from the Kerala State Government).
- Sambodh Foundation Award for Social Welfare for the Programme Officer Mr Faisal CH (2017-18).
- Sambodh Foundation Award for Young Social Servant for Mr Ajmal PK of Final Year Civil Engineering (2017-18).